Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Body Image Video Questions

Do you think that the symmetry test conducted on the baby was flawed? Somewhat. How? Well, the face that the baby saw was probably computer generated, which, I think, causes the results to lose some value. Also, why should it matter if a baby pays more attention to either picture? (Besides the fact that they were doing "beauty" research.) Describe how you would design an experiment that could fool the baby and skew the results. Well, you could put the two pictures up as normally, only you could make one of them in bright, vibrant colors and the other in black and white, and vice versa.

What is missing from this video about beauty? Well, to start, the fact that there is such thing as inner beauty. Also, if you meet someone you don't really consider that gorgeous, if you get to know them and start to really like them, you'll probably think they look much better than you first did. Plus, considering people beautiful and ugly is a judgement. We all do it, and it's not a bad thing, but you can't live your life thinking that you never want to get to know someone just because you consider them "ugly."

What are features that might break the “typical” beauty rules? Well, to start, a lot of people don't have perfect symmetry, color, and clarity. There is definitely a lot of beauty in people who aren't considered "perfect" by society. How are these different from the “typical” beauty rules? Well, they don't include perfection, so therefore they are nearly opposite to the typical beauty rules. For example, a typical beauty rule could be symmetry. A feature that breaks that rule is someone who looks very good un-symmetrical.

How does this video make you feel about beauty? It really didn't change my views of beauty. I believe in trying your best to reflect your inner self on the outside (but not to the point of pain or perfection). I also believe that people are very different on the inside than on the outside. The video really made me realize how important it is for me to hold onto my beliefs of beauty in order to keep being happy, because if I believed any of the crud they were talking about then I probably would not be a happy person.

What is it about the skin that makes it return to its place? The elasticity cells. What property is this? Elasticity property! :D

What are the risks of cosmetic surgery? Well, there is always the risk of infection. Plus, there is a big risk that you will spend lots of money and then not be happy with your results, then end up paying more and more... Would you ever do it? Well, it's very iffy for me. There are two reasons, in my opinion, to get plastic surgery. One is for typical beauty reasons, and the other is for any kind of physical or emotional unahppiness, i.e. being absolutely miserable because you hate your nose, or being in a car wreck and having to get your face fixed up. However, there are so many reasons that could tie into both "categories." As for me, I would never change the way I look just to conform or to be more beautiful according to beauty experts. The only time I'd ever change my appearance is for my own well-being or choice. On the other hand, I would seriously consider plastic surgery if I were to be disfigured somehow by an accident/illness of some sort. What would you be willing to risk for cosmetic surgery? It depends. For personal reasons, I would definitely not want to be in surgery for more than an hour or two. However, for reasons like if my face was destroyed/damaged in an accident, I would probably be willing to go through surgery and an extensive healing process. How long will it last? For either of those things, it would probably be something permanent. I would never get plastic surgery or anything like that (like botox) just for a "quick fix."

Someone in the video is quoted as saying that “make-up can make anyone prettier.” Do you agree with this? Support your answer. I highly disagree with this. I mean, sure, according to beauty experts, a face covered in make-up is prettier than one without. I think that that is complete crap. I happen to prefer people without make-up because you can see their true faces and natural beauty. I'm a big believer in natural beauty. There's also another side to this, though, which is that some people look really good with certain types of make-up on, but that doesn't necessarily mean they're ugly without it. It's very controversial, but for me, I absolutely do not support that statement. I think it's a statement that a lot of people believe for the sake of conforming, though. Some people say to me sometimes, "Oh, I feel so horrible because I didn't get a chance to put on any make-up this morning." Yet they look almost the same, only better. Not as fake.

Do you think that there are cultural differences in how cosmetic surgery is viewed? Definitely. It could be against some religions, or against certain regulations in different cultures. Some cultures may absolutely prohibit it because it may conflict with religion, rules, etc, while other cultures may encourage it or not care either way.